Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Zen and the Art of Bicycle Maintenance

It turns out that the flat I got walking my bike after Tri for the Cure Sunday before last was just the beginning . . . the first in a series.

I had to replace the actual tire and the innertube for the back wheel, which I did. I rode it to work with no problems, but when I went to get it after work, the back tire, the brand new tire that I just replaced, was flat. I filled it up and it seemed to hold, so I took off, thinking it would hold long enough to get me home. It didn't.

When I fixed that tire, I didn't notice anything that caused the flat. I thought maybe it was just a faulty innertube with a slow leak. The next time I rode it, I rode it to work in the morning, planning to go to a Brick work-out straight from work. Before I left work, I went to add some air to the tires and the valve on the front tire blew off, and completely deflated.

Since I had already replaced two tires that week, I didn't have any extra innertubes. They do have some spare tires in the bike cage at work, so I tried fixing it with one of those. Either the new innertube wasn't the exact right size, or I messed something up in fixing it, but when I was adding air to the new tire -POP! So loud! The innertube completely ruptured with a loud bang reverberating in the parking garage.

The next day, I came to work, armed with new innertubes, which were definitely the right size. As I fixed it again at the end of the day, everyone who came down was like, "Weren't you fixing a flat yesterday too?" This time I was very careful, I fixed the front tire, no explosions, no incidents, and I made it home just fine. I went into my apartment for no more than 30 minutes to change clothes and went back to my bike to ride over to a friends house. The back tire -- the other tire, not the one I just fixed -- was flat.

Though this has been frustrating, there are two silver linings: (a) I've gotten a lot quicker at changing tires and (b) the most recent flat--the slow leak--is the first repeat of circumstances leading to a flat, meaning there is probably something I can do to prevent it from happening again. I dropped off my tire with some friends, and they are going to conduct a full investigation while I'm out of town this weekend.

I'm going out of town this weekend to do a Tri in Seattle. It didn't seem worth hauling my bike all the way there for a 12 mile ride, so I'm opting to rent a bike instead. The rental place said to bring my own pedals so I can use my clip-on shoes. But, after running around this evening, borrowing wrenches, watching videos online on how to remove your bike pedals, and getting a neighbor to help, I finally gave up. Those pedals have been there for 3 years and they are not budging. I know I should have tried to take them off earlier, but I've just about used up all the energy I have for bike maintenance this week. I'll just use the regular pedals on the rented bike with my running shoes, and it hopefully won't slow me down too much.

It's midnight, I'm leaving town tomorrow right after work and I haven't even packed yet. Ugh. Hopefully I've had enough maintenance issues that I'll have a good run of smooth sailing ahead of me. But, given my luck lately, I think the race this weekend will be a victory if I can go the whole way without getting a flat.

No comments: