Tuesday, September 12, 2006

Should I Move to Tulsa?

Everytime I start a job search, I get this overwhelming "the world is my oyster" type of feeling that I can do anything and move anywhere. This is, of course, closely followed by intense, anxious thoughts along the lines of "but, if I move there, I won't know a soul and I'll have to find a new person to cut my hair!" I'm not searching in earnest yet, but I am keeping my eyes open and am starting to see opportunites that might interest me. In Albuquerque. In Chapel Hill. In Charlottesville. In Tulsa.

Since I've been in DC, my thoughts have run the gamut in terms of what to do and where to go next. I've gone from wanting to stay in DC, to wanting to move home to Texas, to wanting to go back to California, to wanting to blindfold myself, point randomly at a map, and move wherever my index finger leads me. If I had to limit myself geographically, I'd say I've narrowed it down to DC and the western half of the United States. But I'm pretty much open to whatever, or, more accurately, wherever. I feel like Shakira.

Would I be happy in a place like Tulsa? I'm definitely not a geographic snob. I'm a firm believer in "Wherever you go, there you are." As long as you have friends, a good job, and something to do for fun, any place is bearable, right? I felt hesitant about moving to Corpus Christi, but ended up really liking it there, and was sad to leave. The idea of picking up and starting all over again is scary, but also exciting, like starting a new adventure.

The original focus of this blog was a log of my job search during my clerkship. It seems that things have come full circle and a similar theme may well pervade many of my future posts. :)

1 comment:

Paul said...

Small towns have their advantages.